Potatoes for Chipping
Part 3 here
Potatoes are a very important part of
a fish frier’s life. It is vital that your chips
are of a high quality and that you avoid selling a greasy product.
There is nothing worse than soggy chips for spoiling your reputation
and therefore your trade.
AIMS OF THE SEGMENT
By the time you’ve worked through this
section you’ll be able to:
• List some varieties of potato;
• State what affects the chipping quality of potatoes;
• List other factors in buying such as: disease, conditions,
• State the effect of potato wastage on your profits;
• State how such wastage can be limited;
• Identify the correct methods of storing potatoes;
• Outline the stages in the preparation of potatoes for chipping;
• State the effect of a high sugar content on frying chips;
• Explain the difference between par fries/chilled chips and
chips prepared from raw potatoes;
• State the importance of portion size and appearance.
downloadable pdf file is available here.
frying skills page