A Guide to Buying, Preparing, Frying and Storing Fish
Buying, preparing and storing fish correctly has a big impact on a fish frier’s business. Conducting these tasks correctly can lead to the successful operation of a business. However, if any of these jobs aren’t completed to their required standard, then this will have a huge impact on the profitability of the business.
GENERAL GUIDE & SEGMENT ONE – Buying, Preparing, Frying and Storing Fish.
AIMS OF THE SEGMENT
After studying this segment you will be able to:
• State what to look for when buying fish;
• List some types of fish available;
• Explain the advantages of wet and frozen fish;
• State where to buy fish;
• State the importance of quality and the characteristics to look for when buying fish;
• Identify the correct methods of preparing fish by looking at skinning, boning and cutting;
• State why minimising the wastage of fish is important;
• Identify an average portion size with regard to: customer relations, the cost of fish and wastage;
• State the importance of taste and how this can be measured;
• Outline some of the rules for storing wet fish and frozen fish.