A Guide to Buying, Preparing, Frying
and Storing Fish
Part 1 here
Buying, preparing and storing fish correctly
has a big impact on a fish frier’s business. Conducting these
tasks correctly can lead to the successful operation of a business.
However, if any of these jobs aren’t completed to their required
standard, then this will have a huge impact on the profitability
of the business.
GENERAL GUIDE & SEGMENT ONE – Buying,
Preparing, Frying and Storing Fish.
AIMS OF THE SEGMENT
After studying this segment you will
be able to:
• State what to look for when buying
• List some types of fish available;
• Explain the advantages of wet and
• State where to buy fish;
• State the importance of quality and
the characteristics to look for when buying fish;
• Identify the correct methods of preparing
fish by looking at skinning, boning and cutting;
• State why minimising the wastage of
fish is important;
• Identify an average portion size with
regard to: customer relations, the cost of fish and wastage;
• State the importance of taste and
how this can be measured;
• Outline some of the rules for storing
wet fish and frozen fish.
downloadable pdf file is available here.
frying skills page